A MIDSUMMER NIGHTS DREAM
by William Shakespeare
Directed by Courtney Corey
Produced by Theatre Arts School of San Diego
at San Diego White Box Live Arts in Liberty Station
Set in the “Roaring Twenties,” Shakespeare’s classical text collides with rollicking jazz music and dance. In a time period of undeniable magic, giddy excess, and reckless indulgences, the fairy world takes over for a brief moment and has a little mischievous fun.
Director's Note - This will be a contemporary portrayal of this play. The script will be streamlined to meet the needs of our production. When approaching your audition monologues, please do not think of the text as being "old-fashioned." Imagine Shakespeare as a contemporary playwright who simply has an amazing way with words. This will help to make the text more approachable.
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 24*
1:00 - 4:00 SINGING/ACTING APPOINTMENTS
4:00 DANCE CALL
*(If you cannot make this date, we will arrange an alternate date for you. You can request an alternate date in the audition form.)
REHEARSALS BEGIN OCTOBER 5*
*Actors will be called only when they are needed. Most actors will only be called twice a week during October. Specific calls are emailed every Sunday for the following week. There will be NO REHEARSAL the week of Thanksgiving. Conflicts are allowed, but must be annotated in the audition form. All actors must be present for tech.
Friday, December 1 - 4pm-9:30pm
Saturday, December 2 - 12pm-5pm
Saturday, December 2 at 7:30pm
Sunday, December 3 at 2pm and 7:30 pm
AUDITION AND REHEARSAL LOCATION
Theatre Arts School of San Diego, Liberty Station
Dorothea Laub Dance Place Building, 2nd Floor
2650 Truxtun Road
San Diego, CA 92106
San Diego White Box Live Arts
2690 Truxtun Road, Studio 205 - on the corner of Truxtun and Roosevelt
San Diego, CA 92106
FOR THE AUDITION, PLEASE PREPARE
1. One of the following monologues, or a Shakespeare monologue of your choosing. If you are new to Shakespeare, you may be “on book” for your monologue. If you would like to be considered for a leading role, we recommend you memorize your piece.
2. A short musical theatre song (ONE MINUTE CUT) in the style of George Gershwin / Cole Porter OR a jazz song. Please bring your music on a TRACK - DOWNLOADED onto a phone/mp3 player. DO NOT play your track off of YouTube, etc… You can find piano arrangements of songs at:
3. For the dance call, please wear appropriate dance attire and shoes. For women - Character shoes or jazz shoes are preferred. For men - jazz shoes or sneakers are preferred.
4. If you have a headshot and resume, please bring them to your audition.
HOW TO SIGN UP FOR THIS PRODUCTION:
1. FILL OUT AUDITION FORM BELOW.
2. READ OUR REGISTRATION PAGE REGARDING REFUNDS.
3. CLICK ON THE "REGISTER" BUTTON BELOW, AND YOU WILL BE DIRECTED TO PAYPAL TO PAY THE PRODUCTION FEE OF $385. (THIS FEE INCLUDES ALL INSTRUCTION, REHEARSAL, AND PRODUCTION EXPENSES (MINUS SHOES).
4. READ AUDITION INFO AND PREPARE FOR THE AUDITION.
(ALL ACTORS WILL BE CAST IN THIS PRODUCTION. HOWEVER, SPACE IS LIMITED, SO YOU MUST REGISTER EARLY TO ENSURE YOU HAVE A SPOT IN THIS PRODUCTION.)